Friday, April 1, 2011

Cosmetic Surgery a review of facial surgery, with personal experiences.

Basic background

Cosmetic surgery consists not just of enhancing someones beauty, but also to help those who have been badly damaged in an accident or who have physical birth defects. Many believe that women are the main gender that go for cosmetic surgery. Yet studies have shown that 11% of men are also getting cosmetic surgery - in fact since 1992, the percentage of men getting cosmetic surgery has gone up by 50%. Middle aged men see plastic surgery as an investment in their career prospects. It is important to know that it is neither sex nor age which makes some type of aesthetic surgery procedure feasible, but what is important is a good general health condition.

The stress of being beautiful is taking a strain on many people. People are spending about 10% of their gross income on cosmetic surgeries. Regarding age, there are some procedures such as facelift which are more frequently done on people over 40; however there are people over 55 who still may not need it. On the other hand, there are also patients under 40 who may benefit from this surgery.

Talk to a cosmetic surgeon to see whether you really need extensive changes in your appearance. Learn if a face lift is right for you. Talk it over with partners, friends, spiritual counsellors or life coaches if need be.
Cosmetic surgery covers a wide range of procedures, including obesity and weight loss surgery, breast augmentation, liposuction & face surgery. A facelift can be done alone, or in conjunction with other procedures such as a forehead lift or an eyelid surgery. Alternatives to surgery exist. Laser cosmetic surgery may be performed around the eyes or the mouth. More consumers are considering injectables to prolong or avoid facelifts, forehead lifts and eyelid surgeries.

Eyelid surgery

Sagging upper eyelids or bags under the eyes can be one of the clearest signs of facial ageing. Patients interested in eyelid or eye brow surgery may have noticed drooping or sagging of the skin around the eyes. Eyelid surgery, technically called blepharoplasty, corrects not only the eyelids but also eyebags. Often, the procedure is done with another cosmetic operation, such as a facelift. To remove your eyebags whilst lifting your face is only a matter of more time for the surgeon. The goal of eyelid surgery is to remove excess skin gravity and sun exposure damage. Patients usually request for surgery to remove eyebags and to firm the lower eyelid area. In lower eyelid surgery, the surgeon makes the incision in an inconspicuous site along the lashline and smile creases of the lower lid. This is a very effective way of performing the surgery without leaving any obvious scarring.

Facial surgery

The face as a whole must be considered if the optimum outcome of cosmetic surgery is to be achieved. A facelift can help rejuvenate the lower face, giving it a fresher, healthier appearance. The face lift works well for the jaw line and the neck. By improving facial muscle tone, you can literally lift years off your face. Muscles, fat and deep tissues of the face are all lifted and repositioned so skin is draped over more youthful contours. Most surgeons agree that the best time for the first facial cosmetic surgery is whenever it is needed. Microdermabrassion and non surgical face lifts are alternatives to surgery, in conjunction with a natural facial with elements such as green tea that promote skin wellness. It is also recommended to use facial and body massage therapy after treatments to relax you and speed your recovery. Face aerobics are terrific and can save money in cosmetic surgery.

Personal testimony of facial surgery

The following is a true personal testimony written by a good friend of mine, Bethany Lee, specifically for this article and with her full permission. She is keen to share her experiences with others who may read it.

I had cosmetic surgery some years ago my first operation was for my eyes. I had very many creases around them and was unhappy with my appearance. I contacted an agent for cosmetic surgery, thinking about whole face surgery. After a discussion with her, she convinced me to start by having correction around my eyes. The operation I had was performed under local anaesthetic although this method isnt entirely suitable for many people as it is quite painful. It is possible to have it done under general anaesthesia, or twilight anaesthesia. Some tie it in with other surgery such as a facelift procedure. Still, I opted for the local anaesthetic - I found it comforting to be able to talk to the surgeon and his nurse and know what was going on, but it is not for the faint hearted. The operation itself took about one and a half hours and I was able to have a cup of tea, don dark glasses and go home. I was given pain killers, antibiotics and eye ointment .

The painkillers were hardly needed. Although very bruised and swollen when I arrived home, my husband could see a remarkable difference in that the operation had completely removed my eye bags and wrinkles around the eyes. After the bruising and swelling finally went down (less than a week) the difference was amazing. I could see better and I looked so much younger. I was absolutely delighted. It set me off.

I was worried about my developing jowels. There was no doubt about it the cosmetic surgery loomed. I contacted the same agent I had seen before, and she showed me how my face would look after surgery. This time I opted for a full face lift. The operation took 4 hours and this was done under general anaesthetic. I must admit I suffered a lot of bruising - more than most and it took about a week to settle down but after fortnight I was transformed. I found chewing sugar free dental gum useful, it helped me exercise my jaw and kept things moving. I looked better, felt better and started to look after myself more. It gave me the incentive to start exercising again. People were complimenting me on how well I looked. The incision lines were in well hidden places in my hair line and behind my ears, so there was no way anyone could actually tell that I had undergone surgery.


I was told the eye surgery would last 7 years but it is 15 years now and they still look good. Just a very slight wrinkling on the left side, which is easily correct with makeup. I have regularly used creams to keep my skin in the best possible condition. I know that people say that a cheap cream is as good as an expensive one but I refute that totally. I have bought most of the creams on the market and find that Syence is by far the most effective. This is one of the few creams that has scientifically documented proof that it thickens the skin useful in the more mature lady! I find it invaluable, as it has kept my face very soft and near on wrinkle free.

Finally, I would say find a good cosmetic surgeon. Ask around, do not go for the cheapest or the most expensive - go for reputation. See photographs of his work if possible and ask questions. Its your money and your face you have the right to demand the best. Naturally things can go wrong but rarely do and they can be put right. I find yoga is a great help as it keeps mind and body in tune. A good balanced diet of fresh organic fruit, vegetables and olive oil add to a healthy skin, which will always help set you on a good road to quick recovery.
You will experience a little pain but speak up and it can soon be eased. At the end of the day it will be worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment